Blepharoplasty is a surgery that corrects sagging tissue around the eyelids. The sagging tissue that results from eyelid ptosis is a common concern, and you are not alone if you’ve been thinking about having a blepharoplasty procedure. Not only was blepharoplasty the 2nd most common cosmetic surgery procedure performed in 2020, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, but it has also been around for 2,000 years! Susruta, known as “The Father of Surgery” wrote the first recorded description of eyelid surgery in the Susruta-tantra in ancient times. Given that our eyes are the windows to our soul, we must also treat the tender skin around them with great care. This delicate area can easily display signs of aging, causing us to appear tired, unhappy, and even angry when we may not be feeling any of those things. A cosmetic blepharoplasty procedure can help reverse the signs of aging and have you looking like your younger self in no time. There’s no reason to wait. Contact Allen Aesthetic Surgery to learn more about how a blepharoplasty can benefit you. You can reach our Raleigh offices by calling (919) 676-5052, or filling out our convenient online form.
- 1 About
- 2 Before and After Photos
- 3 Benefits of Blepharoplasty
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparation
- 7 Procedure
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 Cost
- 12 FAQ
- 13 References
Blepharoplasties are performed to improve the appearance and function of the upper and lower eyelids. Dr. Amber Allen is double board certified in cosmetic and general surgery, and will work with you to determine the approach for your individual surgery depending on your needs. Regardless of whether you are looking to target your upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both areas, the blepharoplasty procedure will result in a younger looking you! Dr. Allen will gently remove any excess fat, stretched-out skin, and reinforce loose muscles above and/or below your eyes. The results of this surgery create a smoother and tighter look around your eyes that will last for years.
Before and After Photos
Benefits of Blepharoplasty
This surgery has numerous, long-lasting benefits for the lower and upper eyelids. Benefits of eyelid surgery include:
- Elimination of undereye bags
- A more youthful and alert appearance
- Unobstructed vision
- Tighter, smoother skin around the eyes
Ideal candidates for upper eyelid blepharoplasty are people who notice signs of aging in their face that cause their upper or lower eyelids to droop. Other candidates for blepharoplasty are genetically prone to have naturally drooping eyelids that can cause them to look permanently tired or aged. You may be a candidate for eyelid surgery if you are a non-smoking adult in good health. However, people with conditions like glaucoma, retinal detachment, and dry eye may not be ideal candidates for eyelid surgery because those conditions can interfere with the healing process. In addition, other medical conditions can increase the risks associated with the procedure, such as cardiovascular disease, thyroid diseases, and diabetes. A personal consultation with Dr. Amber Allen is the best way for you to determine whether your facial tissues and eye muscles are healthy enough to undergo a blepharoplasty procedure.
Since no two eyes are the same, no eyelid surgeries will be the same, and Dr. Allen sees each patient as a unique person, not just a procedure. During your personal consultation with Dr. Allen, she will discuss the customized procedure and explain any possible choices you may have. In addition, Dr. Allen’s training in Fine Arts provides her with a solid artistic understanding of what a captivating eye looks like, as well as a respect for ethnic and gender differences. Call Allen Aesthetics today at (919) 676-5052 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule your personal consultation.
Dr. Allen will provide a customized list of instructions to help you prepare for your blepharoplasty. Here are some general preparation guidelines to be aware of:
- Prepare to take some time off from work and strenuous activities for 1-2 weeks.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home.
- Avoid smoking and drinking before and after your procedure.
- Refrain from taking certain anti-inflammatory medications and blood thinners as they can increase bleeding and bruising.
Conveniently performed in our Raleigh, NC office, a typical blepharoplasty surgery can last anywhere between 45 minutes and 2 hours, depending on your individual needs. To provide maximum comfort, you will be placed under IV sedation or general anesthesia for the duration of your eyelid surgery. Upper eyelid surgery can be performed with local anesthetic alone, while lower eyelid surgery is usually performed with IV sedation. Dr. Allen will mark around your eyes to indicate how much skin is to be removed, and you will be shown these markings prior to being taken into the operating room. Once the anesthesia has taken effect, Dr. Allen will form a discreet incision along the eyelid’s natural crease for the upper eyelids and excess skin removed for a more “open eye” appearance. Most often the fat pads under the eyes are treated with a hidden incision. Skin tightening is typically performed with a chemical peel or CO2 laser at the time of surgery. 2]
The blepharoplasty recovery process is usually simple and straightforward. While you may have some swelling and bruising, you will not experience much pain. Dr. Allen will give you special instructions to help your recovery time be as comfortable and quick as possible. Here are some essential things to keep in mind for your recovery:
- When you awaken from surgery, your eyes may be covered with gauze and lubricating ointment.
- In the days immediately following your surgery, you may be responsible for applying topical medications and taking oral prescriptions to prevent infection.
- It is normal to encounter some swelling and bruising following the procedure, but most discomfort should quickly subside.
- Following your blepharoplasty, you may experience blurred vision temporarily due to minor corneal swelling and the use of eye lubricants that Dr. Allen will provide. However, your vision will recover fully in a few days.
- Applying ice packs and elevating your head can help reduce swelling and speed recovery.
- While light activity and refraining from heavy lifting are advised for two weeks following surgery, most patients may be able to return to work only a few days after surgery.
- It is very important to refrain from taking aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, or NSAIDs 14 days before and after your procedure.
Because each patient’s needs are different, our team at Allen Aesthetics is happy to answer any questions you may have during your recovery. Don’t hesitate to call our office at (919) 676-5052 with any questions you may have as you recover.
You will notice brighter, tighter, and more open eyes after cosmetic blepharoplasty. It usually takes most patients about 4 to 6 weeks to fully see the final results from cosmetic eyelid surgery. While results do vary, you should expect to see a more youthful appearance immediately after the swelling and bruising subside. To maintain the results of eyelid surgery as long as possible, patients should routinely moisturize the skin surrounding their eyes, as well as consistently use sun protection.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
During your personal consultation with Dr. Allen, you’ll have the opportunity to discuss any additional cosmetic procedures you may be interested in, such as:
- Mini Facelift: This minimally invasive procedure corrects loose skin on the face and neck, leaving you with a more youthful appearance.
- Forehead Lift: Smooth the appearance of your upper face by removing and repositioning excess skin in the forehead and between the eyes. This procedure will leave you feeling restored and refreshed.
- Lip Lift: A longer-lasting way to enhance your lips’ volume and shape. This straightforward surgical procedure enlarges the surface of the upper lip, for a more voluptuous and youthful appearance.
The cost of your blepharoplasty procedure will depend on the details of your unique treatment plan, as well as any other complementary and corresponding cosmetic surgeries you may choose to undergo. Allen Aesthetics is pleased to offer specials, and Dr. Allen will discuss financing options with you during your personal consultation.
Will a blepharoplasty procedure change the shape of my eyes?
Due to the nature of the procedure, most patients will encounter at least some degree of change to the eye’s shape. Dr. Allen can help you understand precisely what that will look like for you during your personal consultation.
Are results of cosmetic blepharoplasty permanent?
The results of cosmetic blepharoplasty are long-lasting but not permanent. Over time, your skin will continue to change in response to aging and other environmental factors.
Can upper and lower blepharoplasty be done at the same time?
Yes, both procedures can be performed in conjunction, allowing patients to have only one surgery and one recovery period.
Does blepharoplasty leave a scar?
Most patients will have tiny, nearly invisible, small scars in the eyelid crease.
- Bhattacharjee, K., Ghosh, S., Ugradar, S., & Azhdam, A. M. (2020). Lower eyelid blepharoplasty: An overview. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, 68(10), 2075–2083. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijo.IJO_2265_19
- Bhattacharjee, K., Misra, D., & Deori, N. (2017). Updates on upper eyelid blepharoplasty. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, 65(7), 551. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijo.ijo_540_17
- Lyon, D. B. (2010). Upper Blepharoplasty and Brow Lift: State of the Art. Missouri Medicine, 107(6), 383–390. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6188243/